Friday, May 13, 2011

Paying It Forward!

Today Nick participated in Relay For Life with the Primary School he attends and his first grade class. I gave a donation and I also made him donate his $2.00 allowance for the week. He moaned and groaned about it but, reluctantly, knew in his heart it was the right thing to do so he did it. My Grandfather and my Dad's brother both died of cancer so I explained to him exactly how important what he was doing was.


Tonight, as we were leaving a store, a lady was waiting for us at the door. She told me my young boys appeared to be the same age as her young grandsons that live across county. She stated she only gets to see them twice a year. She had a 2 small toys that she purchased in that store and wanted my boys to have them.


The lesson is: in life it's not about what's in it for you, but what you give to others. A total stranger gave my boys a gift, Nick gave a give that could potential help total strangers. Kindness is often unrecognized, gratitude and selflessness is priceless and teaching my boys to think of others before themselves is a life lesson!!


No comments: